How To Set up Your Water Heater
Let me guess, you went down stairs to examine the laundry or seize a instrument and their it was. An enormous puddle of water throughout your basement flooring and it’s coming from the underside of the water heater. That is the apparent and most typical signal you want a brand new water heater set up.
In case you have any expertise with Do It Your self tasks round the home putting in a brand new water heater shouldn’t be an issue for you. Observe together with the steps on this article and you should have your new water heater put in in a few hours. Putting in a water heater your self will prevent as much as 300 or 400 relying on the world you reside in. Now in case you are not very DIY you may nonetheless set up your personal water tank, nevertheless it might take somewhat longer than a number of hours however when you like a problem and should not afraid doing repairs on your own home it is possible for you to to put in the heater your self as effectively.
Instruments And Supplies You Will Want:
- Water Heater- Set up what you’re taking out if in case you have a 40 gallon and wish to improve to a 50 gallon now’s the time to do it. When you do have a 50 gallon I DO NOT suggest switching to something decrease than what you’ve got.
- ¾ Fittings – You will have 2 ¾ couplings and presumably some elbows. Examine what kind of pipe you’ve got going to your water heater. This may be copper, CPVC, PEX or galvanized. I like to recommend getting Shark Chunk ¾ fittings as a result of they’re very straightforward to put in with PEX, CPVC and copper piping. When you’ve got galvanized pipe it’s possible you’ll must get a conversion becoming and adapt to one of many different pipes for simpler set up.
- Black Pipe Fittings – Chances are you’ll want a number of ½ black pipe couplings and elbows to increase or shorten the fuel line connecting to the heater. I set up the fuel line final. This fashion I’ll know precisely what I would like for fuel fittings.
- 2 – ¾ dielectrics. At all times substitute the dielectrics when putting in a brand new water heater. Be sure you get the correct dielectrics for the piping materials you’ve got in your own home.
- T&P Valve often comes with the brand new heaters.
- Torch, Flux, Solder, sand paper
- Channel Locks or offset pliers
- Pipe Wrench
- Pipe Thread resolution or Teflon tape
- Backyard hose.
Now that we’ve all of our supplies let’s get began. Step one is to show off the primary water provide to accommodate. Subsequent Flip off the fuel vale on the fuel line operating to the water heater. Now join the backyard hose to the underside of the water heater and run the hose to close by flooring drain. Activate the valve (this appears like an outdoor hose bib) and let the heater begin to drain.
At the moment go all through your own home and activate all the taps. Be sure you depart the taps within the on place and you’ve got cold and hot water turned on. This can enable all the water to empty out of the heater quite a bit quicker.
Whereas the water is draining out of the outdated heater, Unbox the brand new water heater. First pipe dope the 2 shafts popping out the highest of the heater. As soon as they’re doped screw on the brand new dielectrics. Subsequent in case your heater got here with a T&P valve unbox it and pipe dope these threads. Screw the T&P valve into the facet of the heater there will likely be a gap with threads on it the place it goes. Chances are you’ll want to make use of your pipe wrench to get that final activate so the valve factors down. Now you bought the heater prepped and able to go.
As soon as the outdated heater is completed draining disconnect the fuel pipe on the union becoming. That is the becoming which has a hexagonal center. As soon as the union is disconnected disconnect the remainder of the pipe ONLY on the heater you might be changing.
Now we’ll disconnect the water pipes. Use your channel locks to disconnect the dielectric. They may disconnect similar to the fuel pipe union fittings. Reduce off the outdated dielectrics from the copper or different piping you could have.
As soon as all the pipes are disconnected from the water heater and it doesn’t look like there’s any extra water within the tank begin to take away the outdated water heater out of the way in which. Be sure you depart sufficient room to get the brand new heater in place. In case you have a small space you could have to only take away the outdated water heater to make room for the brand new water heater Decent article about Propane Water Heater.
Line up the brand new water heater with the pipes that related the outdated heater. When you discover you want change some water piping, depart the pipe with the chilly water valve the straight pipe and reconfigure the recent facet.
Join the water piping to new heater utilizing the shark chew fittings or no matter fittings you selected. You might have to solder the brand new dielectrics to the water piping if in case you have copper pipe. When soldering the dielectrics I counsel you determine how a lot pipe you want from the dielectric to the coupling and reduce it to size and solder it on the bottom. This can make for a better solder job. Additionally, you will wish to take out the washers from the dielectrics so you do not burn them.
Now you’ve got the water pipe all attached. As soon as every little thing cools. When you needed to do any soldering. Substitute the washers within the dielectrics and tighten them down. Activate the primary water provide. Whereas the water heater is filling up depart the taps on so you may bleed all the air out of the system.